Public Works provides yard waste collection, twice per month, to single family dwellings and duplexes year-round.
Loose leaves may be either placed in 95-gallon water-tight roll-out container or raked in a pile curbside for collection. No plastic or paper bags are allowed.
Please help our community improve travel safety for all, especially cyclists and pedestrians, by putting out your yard waste close to your collection day, and not placing leaves in the street or blocking sidewalks, bike lanes, or storm drains.
Large/Oversized Piles: will have a fee assessed to the collection. Please call Public Works for more information.
- Loose leaves waste must be free of all debris. No dirt, sod, rock, or concrete.
Loose Leaves Placed in 95-Gallon Roll-out Containers:
- Place container at the street with the lid opening towards the street.
- Allow 3 - 5 feet of clearance between your container and any other item.
- Do not place yard waste cart in drainage ditch, bike lane, street, or on sidewalk.
- Filled roll-out containers (other than Town roll-out containers) must not weigh more than 50 pounds.
Loose Leaves Placed Curbside in a Pile:
- Loose leaf piles should be long and narrow and placed as close to the curb as possible (within 10 feet).
- Do not place loose leaves in drainage ditch, bike lane, street, or on sidewalk.
Thank you for following these tips. It helps us provide better service to you.
Residents from Hillsborough Rd., Greensboro St., Hanna St., and points south will have yard waste collection on 1st and 3rd Monday of each month. All points north of Hillsborough Rd., Greensboro St., and Hanna St. will have yard waste collection on the 2nd and 4th Monday of the month. If a month has 5 Mondays, there will be no yard waste pickup on the 5th Monday. Yard waste collection may be cancelled or delayed due to inclement weather.
Click on the map below and enter your address into the search bar to find your trash, bulk waste, and yard waste collection days.
Household waste, bulk waste, yard waste, and loose leaf collection days may change during holiday weeks. Please see the 2022 Holiday Collection Schedule below for collection day changes. Recycling services are managed by Orange County Solid Waste Management. For more information, please visit Orange County Solid Waste Management.
Reminder: There is no yard waste or loose-leaf collection on the 5th Monday of the month.
2022 Holiday Collection Schedule
New Year’s Eve – Friday, December 31st – No Household Trash Collection
Friday's household waste collection is on Monday, January 3rd
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, January 17th - No Yard Waste Collection
Monday's yard waste collection is on Tuesday, January 18th
Good Friday - April 15th - No Household Trash Collection
Friday's household waste collection is on Monday, April 18th
Memorial Day – Monday, May 30th - No Yard Waste Collection
Monday's yard waste collection is on Tuesday, May 31st
Juneteenth - June 20th - No Yard Waste Collection
Monday's yard waste collection is on Tuesday, June 21st
Independence Day - July 4th - No Yard Waste Collection
Monday's yard waste collection is on Tuesday, July 5th
Labor Day - September 5th - No Yard Waste Collection
Monday's yard waste collection is on Tuesday, September 6th
Thanksgiving Holiday Week - November 21st - November 25th
No Yard Waste Collection - There will be no yard waste collected Thanksgiving week.
Household Waste Schedule -
- Wednesday collection is on Monday, November 21st
- Thursday collection is on Tuesday, November 22nd
- Friday collection is on Wednesday, November 23rd
Christmas Holiday Week – December 19th – December 26th
No Yard Waste Collection - There will be no yard waste collected Christmas week.
Household Waste Schedule -
- Wednesday collection is on Monday, December 19th
- Thursday collection is on Tuesday, December 20th
- Friday collection is on Wednesday, December 21st
Yard waste containers may be purchased from Town Hall receptionist at 301 W Main Street or you may print a Roll-out Waste Container Order Form (PDF) and mail it to Town of Carrboro along with a check or money order:
Town of Carrboro, 301 W Main Street, Carrboro, NC 27510
Public Works will deliver the container to your residence within 2 business days of receipt of payment. Please contact Public Works at 919-918-7425 for current container pricing.